Comments

Valid email addresses are required to post comments. If your comment is not posted, I will send you an email with an explanation.







Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Tip of the Hat to the author of The Cat in the Hat

Our school is presently involved in celebrating "Read Across America" as a means of acknowledging the birthday of that great author of books for children (and adults who have remained young at heart), Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel).

Among the many profound quotes embedded in his books, I have selected one in particular to frame this day's Blog entry. It comes from the book, I Can Read with My Eyes Shut.

The more that you read,
the more that you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.

What better way to encourage young readers to expand their skills and learning experiences. I am a practicing magician. However, I always point out to young people that my favorite magic trick does not include illusions or slight of hand, but rather the ability to understand letters and words and sentences and ....  I remind them that although I was very poor as a child I "traveled" all over the world across borders and time by way of reading books. I "met" famous people and learned about how and why they became famous by reading books. The world opened up to me whenever I opened a book. And, the more I read the better I did in school.

Reading is a magical way of learning about our world and reaching our potential. Reading unlocks the knowledge within books that would otherwise remain a jumble of mysteries if we are not able to decipher the symbols that cover the pages. I encourage parents to invest time in developing the minds of their children by reading to and with them. Not only will they benefit academically from such an experience, there are few opportunities to connect better with children. Show them how important reading is by spending your valuable time with them and a book.

The more that you read,
the more that you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.

No comments:

Post a Comment